I got a letter a few weeks ago that my health insurance was in negotiations with the hospital where my Dr delivers. Then I got a letter from the hospital saying they wanted to work it out, but UHC pays significantly lower than other carriers. I kinda brushed the whole thing off and figured they would reach an agreement. Also, I just figured worse case scenario I would pay out of network co pays. Turns out I have zero coverage for out of network. They did not reach an agreement so even though my Dr is still in network, the hospital is not.
In the letter it said there was a continuation of coverage for those who were pregnant. So I called. It's only for 2nd and 3rd trimester. I missed the cutoff by 10 days. I'm NOT happy. I explained to them that I tried for 2 years, lost 3 babies and am in the middle of a very high risk pregnancy and I am not changing Dr's. In case you haven't picked up on it, I love my Dr. I don't think I could find another one that would be as understanding and who would let me come in whenever I wanted.
So they filed a request for the continuation and it will be "reviewed". I asked how long it would take. Their answer - we don't know. How is that acceptable to a pregnant girl who needs a Dr? I know how reviews go at insurance companies. They drag it out for months then say no. I intend to write a letter to the office of the president today. I will also be calling EVERY day until they approve it. In my opinion, they should cover anyone who was pregnant as of the day of the switch. No one who is pregnant needs the stress of changing Dr's.
So if anyone has any pull at UHC, I need your help! Otherwise, please PRAY they will just approve it in a timely fashion. It is stressing me out.



Insurance sucks!! Right after I got pregnant, I found out that when we're ready to try for #2, we'll have to change fertility docs. I've ranted, raved, called, emailed, done everything but camp out in the lobby of United Headquarters. I'm still going to have to change docs next time. Aaargh.
I am so sorry, you definately don't need this stress right now....however I think you are doing the right thing by disputing it. I don't have any UHC connections, otherwise I would jump in and help out if I could. I hope you get some resoltuion soon.... praying for you.